Karaoke is a worldwide phenomenon. Just in case you didn’t know, karaoke is a form of entertainment in which people sing along with specially recorded versions of favourite songs (with the vocal line missing) using a microphone and public address system. Singing at karaoke is a great means of relaxing and switching off from your work or daily routine. It can make you feel a lot better and rejuvenated afterwards. For all you budding karaoke singers out there, here are some karaoke tips to help you get the most out of your performance.
When you sing at karaoke, the chances are you might be nervous. Here are a few ways to overcome your nerves:
1. Choose a song that you know very well, especially if you’re a karaoke virgin. This will help you to stay calm when you get up and perform.
2. Make sure that the song is within your range. In other words, find a song that doesn’t go too high or too low, that doesn’t make your voice feel strained.
3. Focus on the meaning of the words and not on yourself. This will help you to relax and to look more relaxed for your audience.
4. If you still feel nervous, look just above the audience rather than straight at them, or focus on the words on the television screen instead.
5. Smile! Even if you feel really scared, a smile will put you and the audience at ease.
Here are some tips on using a microphone:
6. When you get up to the stage, spend a bit of time setting the microphone up. Make sure you’re comfortable with the height if there is a stand. Make sure the microphone is switched on! This might seem obvious, but you don’t want to start your song only to have to stop again.
7. Singing with a microphone is different from singing without one. If you use a mike, be aware that you don’t need as much support as normal. You should also stand back slightly when you have to sing with more volume.
Remember that you and your audience are there to have a great time, so don’t forget to relax and enjoy yourself. After a few performances, I’m sure you’ll be singing like a pro!